When you have gaps in your mouth due to missing teeth, it can cause problems with eating, talking and the remaining teeth may grow into the space at an angle. Dentures are removable false teeth made of acrylic (plastic) or metal. They fit over the gums to replace missing teeth and eliminate potential problems caused by the gaps. The condition continues for a period of time, some or all the remaining teeth may need to be removed and replaced.
At the Victoria Road Dental Clinic, we can provide complete or full dentures in Ruislip to help restore patients’ smile. Patients with missing teeth may improve their confidence and quality of life with dentures or false teeth from The VRDC. Dentures are a removable type of tooth loss replacement, and it looks similar to the natural teeth and gums. Flexible dentures could be the perfect solution for an individual who has lost one or more of their natural teeth as a result of gum disease, dental infection or as a result of a sporting injury or accident.
Depending on your needs, we offer a range of treatments when it comes to fitting dentures in Ruislip at our very own practice.
What are the benefits of dentures?
- Look and feel younger – Missing teeth can cause your face to take on a sunken cheek appearance. Dentures can reverse this by bringing shape and definition back into your cheeks thus giving you the confidence to smile.
- Enjoy advances in dental technology – Dentures are now made from different and better materials, meaning an improved comfort and fit.
- Fully functioning – Your new set of teeth will be hassle-free and easy to maintain. You’ll be able to eat and drink as normal, and you can expect fewer visits to the dentist over time. Dentures can enhance your overall physical health, particularly when they allow you to chew foods properly, thus providing you with all the nutrients you need.
- Made to measure – Your dentures will be made to match the measurements of your mouth exactly. We’ll take a mould of your teeth and gums, measure your jaw, and possibly use an X-ray.
- The confidence to smile naturally – From a cosmetic perspective, dentures will greatly enhance your appearance. You can enjoy a straighter smile and the treatment will fill in spaces where there were once gaps. If you had problems with discolouration, dentures can be made whiter than the original teeth, plus your new radiant smile will brighten your whole face. Say goodbye to smiling with your mouth shut due to embarrassment!
Dentures Ruislip – Repairs & Additions
The Victoria Road Dental Clinic work alongside registered local dental laboratories to help patients who may have broken their dentures.
The aim is to repair the dentures within a very short period.
It’s an invaluable service which we are able to provide in conjunction with skilled laboratory technicians.
There are Two Types of Denture:
A complete or full denture is one that replaces all of the natural teeth in either the upper or lower sections of the mouth.
A partial denture fills in the spaces created by lost or missing teeth and is attached to your natural teeth using metal clasps or devices called precision attachments. One of the main concerns for patients requiring partial dentures is the colour variation between the denture and natural teeth. We are able to match the colour of partial dentures to that of the natural teeth.
Fitting a Full Denture
A full denture will be fitted if all your upper or lower teeth need to be removed or you are having an old complete denture replaced. The denture is usually fitted as soon as your teeth are removed, which means you will not be left without teeth. The denture fits snugly over your gums and jawbone.
Fitting a Partial Denture
A partial denture is designed to fill in the gaps left by one or more missing teeth. It is either acrylic or metal plate with a number of false teeth attached to it. It usually clips onto some of your natural teeth via metal clasps, which hold it securely in place in your mouth. It can easily be unclipped and removed.
Acrylic dentures are gum supported and are made from pink (or pigmented) acrylic which fits around the existing teeth, and also holds the replacement teeth in position. The benefit of this type of denture is that it is relatively easy to add one or more teeth to it should there be any further loss of natural teeth. If there have been any changes to the supporting gums, the same denture can be ‘relined’ to improve the fit often delaying the need to replace the denture entirely.
Metal dentures consist of a cobalt chromium metal alloy framework which supports the white and pink acrylic used to replace the teeth and gums. Metal clasps aid retention and rest seats are used to provide some tooth support which is more ideal than gum support. Metal dentures are lighter, thinner and more conductive than their acrylic counterparts. These dentures are extremely strong and durable.
Whether you choose acrylic or metal, you can be sure your new teeth will be strong and natural looking with the help of the VRDC.
Denture repairs and tooth additions
Victoria Dental Clinic works alongside registered local dental laboratories to help patients who may have broken their dentures so that they can be repaired within a very short period. This is an invaluable service which we are able to provide in conjunction with skilled laboratory technicians.
If you are not sure which treatment is best for you, call us. Our friendly staff will take you through all the options, and give you the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Denture construction with VRDC will usually take 3-4 visits. On your first visit your dentist will take upper and lower impressions of your mouth and send it to a dental laboratory.
During the next visit we will use our cosmetic expertise to help you choose the colour and appearance of the denture, so that the resulting denture matches your own gums and teeth. We will include preparatory steps such as further more accurate impressions, recording the dimensions of your bite, checking the clarity of your speech, and confirming that the appliance looks and feels natural and comfortable. Once everything is to your satisfaction, the denture will be returned to the lab to be created.